Early Career Researcher (ECR) Manuscript Competition
The Early Career Researcher Initiative (ECR) of the Human Proteome Organization is pleased to announce the third ECR Manuscript Competition to take place at HUPO 2017 in Dublin!
The ECR Manuscript Competition was initiated at HUPO 2015 in Vancouver and has been successfully repeated at HUPO 2016 in Taiwan. This competition has been a perfect occasion to make early-career researchers more visible to the proteomics community and serves as a platform to highlight the important contributions that post-doctoral fellows, young clinicians and junior faculty members make to the proteomics field. At HUPO 2017 in Dublin, Ireland, September 17-21, 2017 we will repeat this successful event.
We encourage all ambitious early-career proteomics researchers to participate at this competition with an original manuscript of their current work. Three awards (first place, $1,000 and two runner-ups, $500) will be presented to the best original manuscripts in any field of proteomics. Winners will have the opportunity to present their work in a dedicated session of HUPO 2017 in order to increase the recognition of their work. In addition, they will have free participation to the HUPO 2017 meeting.
Application deadline: June 5 2017
Download the application form
Eligibility: Competition is intended for post-doctoral fellows (Ph.D. degree awarded post Jan 2012), junior faculty members (appointment post Jan 2014) and young clinicians (M.D. degree awarded post Jan 2011). The committee might consider exceptions, if satisfactorily motivated. Applicants must be HUPO members.
Manuscript Criteria: The applicant must have significantly contributed to the manuscript, which should be stated and discussed by the confirmation letter written by the senior author of the same manuscript. Manuscript must be original research and not printed for publication at the time of submission.
Selection Process: Manuscripts will be reviewed by an ad hoc expert panel of scientists and scored regarding various aspects. ECR Committee will select three finalists based on 1. Manuscript score at review process which takes into consideration the scientific content and novelty of the work and 2. Career track record and age of the participant. Three finalists will be selected and notified by mid-August, 2017. The finalists will be invited to give an oral presentation on the topic of their submitted manuscript and an abstract of their manuscript will be included in the congress final program book. The finalists must provide a biosketch within five business days of receiving their notifications. Following the presentations of the three finalists at the ECR Manuscript Competition Session at HUPO 2017, a first place winner ($1,000 prize) and two runner-ups ($500 each) will be named in the congress awards session. Complimentary congress registration and a certificate will accompany the cash prizes (registration fee will be refunded, if paid in advance).
How to apply
A complete application needs to include the documents listed below which should be compiled into two separate pdf files (outlined below). Completed applications should be sent by June 5th, 2017 to the ECR committee: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. A pdf file including:
- Completed version of the application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement letter from the senior author of the submitted manuscript stating: Contribution of the application to the manuscript; Originality of the manuscript; Career track record of the applicant; Confirmation of career disruption and duration of disruption, if it applies.
2. Single manuscript file as a pdf (including the supplementary information, if it applies):
- The manuscript must be an original article and the author must have contributed significantly to the concept and with carrying out the experimental work and/or data analysis.
- The manuscript should not have been already printed for publication. Manuscript must comply with format for a research article of one the HUPO affiliated journals (www.hupo.org/journals). Other peer reviewed journal formats can be accepted only if the journal is specified.
- Manuscript must be written in English